About Entrance Exam
To be eligible for the entrance exam candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be over 18 years of age
- Be in very good physical shape
- Possess high moral standards
- Possess a very good level of: Mountaineering experience (rock, snow, ice and mixed terrain); athletic rock climbing skills, ice climbing skills, mixed climbing skills on all types of terrain. This experience certified by their list of courses and climbing certificates (References)
Access to aspirant guide course is subjected to passing the entrance exam. The challenges set in the exam as well as the minimum technical requirements are defined below:
- An oral test on the candidate's list of climbs and experience
- A rock climbing test: minimum 6a with mountaineering boot (Lead Climbing on equipped route)
- A rock climbing test, minimum 6b with rock climbing shoes (Lead Climbing on equipped route)
- A Glacier test: the ascent, traverse and descent (using all the points of the crampon with semi technical ice axe).
- Technical Ice Climbing test with ice tool, technical crampons (Lead Climbing on equipped route)
- Mixed terrain test: route over blocks/ascent and down-climb in mountaineering shoes.
Minimum Requirement for Entry Exam:
As per the NNMGA training directive, there are two different proficient preliminaries required for aspirant guide course entry exam candidates. These are optional choices for applicants either they have to decorate them self with mountaineering experience or they have to accomplish climbing training and experience on alpine peaks. Which are categorized as follows:
1. Mountaineering experience - Participants must have experience of five different expeditions, each one of at least 10 days duration on glacial and mixed terrain.
2. Climbing training and Alpine Peaks Climbing Experiences.
- Basic and Advance training certificate course conducted by Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA)
- Experience on four trekking peak summits (NMA list).
- Experience on one summit over 7000m including at two camps in altitude.
Entry exam schedule
Duration: 3 days
Location: Kathmandu orRolwaling or Langtang
- Commencement of Mountain Guide Certification Course - 2017
Posted: 22 February, 2017
- Commencement of Aspirant Guide Course - 2015/16, Comp III
Posted: 22 August 2016
- 11th Annual General Meeting
Posted: 22 August 2016
- Completion of Aspirant Guide Course - 2015/16, Comp II,
Posted: 26 June, 2016